by Dr Sarah Hunter (BVet Med MRCVS), Station House Vets.
Autumn is officially here which means a new set of dangers to be aware of for your four-legged friend. Read on to find out more.
Because conkers are difficult to chew, they can become stuck in your dog’s intestine, resulting in vomiting and abdominal pain. Conkers also contain a toxin which can cause excessive drooling as well as vomiting and abdominal pain.
Mushrooms and Toadstools
Fungi can be very toxic to dogs but it can be difficult to tell which ones are harmful so it’s best to avoid all mushrooms and toadstools.
Sweets and chocolates
There are usually lots of sweets and chocolates around at Halloween. Chocolate contains theobromine which is toxic to dogs. If eaten, it can result in neurological signs or vomiting and diarrhoea.
Damp leaves can be a breeding ground for bacteria and mould, mycotoxins produced by mould can cause seizures or vomiting and diarrhoea so are best avoided.
Many dogs are scared of the loud noises associated with fireworks so it’s a good idea to get them prepared for the firework season. You can do this by making a safe place for them, using calming supplements and pheromone diffusers and also by carrying out a desensitisation programme using a noise phobia cd.
Seasonal Canine Illness
Cases of this mystery illness are usually seen between August and November, usually, the affected dog becomes very ill after walking in woodlands, often displaying signs such as vomiting, diarrhoea and lethargy.
For further information on any of these topics, or if you think your pet has had access to any of the toxic substances please call us on 01653 618 303.