A perfect naturally sweetened flapjack-style bar. Ideal for packed lunches, grab-and-go breakfast options or as a healthy pick-me-up snack. This makes a healthy alternative to shop-bought snack bars and is perfect for children too. The combination of slow-releasing oats, seeds and protein powder with the fresh and dried mango keeps the body energised throughout the day. Ideal as a pre- or post-workout snack. The bars will keep in the fridge for up to a week or can be frozen for up to three months.
- 250g dried mango slices, without sugar, chopped
- 3 limes
- 200g frozen or fresh mango chunks
- 150ml (1⁄4 pint) light olive oil
- 175g gluten-free rolled oats
- 175g self-raising gluten-free flour
- 30g / 1 scoop vanilla protein powder, optional
- 1⁄2 tsp baking powder
- 30g mixed seeds (e.g. sunflower, sesame, pumpkin)
- 100g desiccated coconut
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan /gas mark 4.
2. Place the dried mango pieces in a bowl and cover with boiling water. Leave for 15 minutes to soften, then drain.
3. Zest then juice the limes.
4. Place half of the dried mango in a food processor with the fresh mango, lime juice, lime zest and oil, and process to form a thick puree.
5. Place the oats, flour, protein powder, baking powder, seeds and coconut in a large bowl. Stir in the remaining dried mango. Pour in the puree and mix thoroughly.
6. Spoon the mixture into a greased and lined baking tin that is approximately 25cm by 30cm. Bake in an oven for 30 minutes until golden brown. Leave to cool in the tin then cut into slices.
Nutrition per serving: 254kcal, fat 15.2g (of which saturates 5g), carbohydrate 23.7g (of which sugars 7.6g), protein 3.6g.