About the Competition
The Handy Mag Open Photography Competition 2021 is now accepting entries. Please find the relevant details to enter on this page.
The Competition—which is running for the first time in 2021—is looking for photographs that capture the essence of local life in Ryedale and York par excellence. Photographers of all abilities and ages are encouraged to enter, and images displaying outstanding technical and creative skills will receive special credit. Images of all kinds are acceptable.
One winner will be selected each month, from the entries submitted that month, and have their image printed in the Handy Mag. In December 2021, two images will be selected to be printed on the covers of our February 2022 editions.
- The Competition is free to enter and open to anyone.
- Entries must be photographs taken by yourself and broadly within the Ryedale and York areas.
- One winner will be selected every month from April until December. Entries must be submitted by 13.00 GMT on the last day of the month to be considered for that month’s competition.
- The winner will have their image printed in the Handy Mag and posted online. Other exceptional images may also be posted online.
- In January 2022, two images submitted to the competition at any point in 2021 will be printed on the covers of the February 2022 editions of Handy Mag Ryedale and Handy Mag York.
- Please see ‘Rules’ below for full image eligibility criteria.
To enter, you must do one of the following:
1.1 By entering the Open Competition you accept these Competition Rules.
1.2.1 The Competition is free to enter.
1.2.2 The Open competition is open to everyone.
1.3.1 Entries for each month’s competition must be submitted by 13.00 GMT on the last day of the month to be considered for that month’s competition.
1.3.2 Entries for the 2021 competition must be submitted by 13.00 GMT, 31 December 2021.
2. To enter the Competition, you must either
(a) post your image to our Facebook page (@thehandymag),
(b) post your image on Instagram with the hashtag #handymagphotography, or
(c) email your image to firstname.lastname@example.org.
2.1 Images must be taken in 2021, by yourself, and broadly within the Ryedale and York areas.
2.2 You can enter as many images as you want into the Competition.
3.1 The Handy Mag reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to remove any entry from the Competition if it does not comply with the following requirements:
3.1.1 The entry must not contain personally identifiable information about you or any other person(s);
3.1.2 The entry must not contain any abusive, defamatory, obscene, or infringing content;
3.1.3 The entry must not contain any material that could constitute or encourage conduct which would be considered a criminal offense, give rise to civil liability, or otherwise violate any law;
3.1.4 The entry must not upon the trademarks, copyrights contract rights, or, in any case, any other intellectual property rights of any third person or entity;
3.1.5 The entry must not violate any person’s rights of privacy or publicity;
3.1.6 You can confirm that you have the permission of anyone pictured in a photograph to enter the image into the Competition;
4.1 Individuals under 16 require parent’s or legal guardian’s consent to enter an image into the Competition;
5.1 For an image entered into the Competition, the Handy Mag recognises you as the author of the image and you retain full ownership of the copyright;
5.2 Any image submitted to the Competition may be used by the Handy Mag for marketing and promotional purposes for a maximum of three years after 31 December 2021. You hereby grant the Handy Mag a non-exclusive, irrevocable licence to use the image for these purposes.
6. You agree to the use of your name for the purposes of advertising, promotion, and publicity.
7. All entrants must be able to supply a high-resolution image suitable for printing in media and an exhibition should the image be required.
8. Winners will be announced monthly in the Handy Mag Ryedale and Handy Mag York magazines, on the Handy Mag website, and on the Handy Mag social media channels.