A vegetarian burger packed with flavour and topped with a simple tomato relish.
- 80g / scant ½ cup quinoa
- 2 tsp bouillon vegetable stock powder or a vegetable stock
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ½ red onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 x 400g can kidney beans drained
- 115g / 4oz feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 tbsp parsley, chopped
- 1 tbsp mint, chopped
- 2 tbsp cornflour
- Salt and pepper
- 4 tomatoes, quartered
- 1 red onion, quartered
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ small chipotle chilli, soaked in warm water for 20 minutes
- 1 tbsp fresh coriander
- 2 tsp xylitol
- 2 tsp balsamic vinegar
- Add the quinoa to 250ml water with the bouillon powder or stock cube and bring to the boil. Lower the heat and simmer with the lid on for 15 minutes until cooked. Keep the lid on and let the quinoa sit in the pan for another 10 minutes. Place in a bowl.
- For the relish, preheat the oven to 180C/fan 160C/gas mark 4 and place the tomatoes and onion on a baking tray. Drizzle over the oil and cook in the oven for 15 minutes until soft. Place in a food processor with the remaining ingredients and pulse to form a thick and chunky puree. Allow to cool.
- Heat 1 tbsp of the olive oil in frying pan. Add the onion, garlic and cumin. Cook, stirring for about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Add the beans, feta and cooked quinoa. Stir in the herbs and cornflour and mash with potato masher to break up the beans. When cool enough to handle, divide into 6 portions and shape into burgers.
- Heat the remaining olive oil in large frying pan on a medium-high heat. Add the burgers and cook until browned or each side, about 5-6 minutes.
- To serve, place the burgers into burger buns and arrange over the toppings of your choice.
Calories per burger with relish (no bun): 215kcal, protein 8.5g, carbohydrates 24g (of which sugars 6.2g), fat 9.7g (of which saturates 3.4g)