Succulent beef served with a delicious rich and tangy garlic and herb sauce makes a sensational feast. Any leftover meat can be served cold with salad the following day.
- 500g beef fillet (one piece)
- 1 tbsp oil, for searing
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp oil
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- Herb Sauce
- 1 bulb garlic
- 1 tbsp olive oil and a
- little for drizzling
- 1 shallot, diced
- 250g cherry tomatoes, halved
- 4 anchovy fillets
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 25g sultanas
- 1 tbsp capers, drained
- and rinsed
- 50g blanched almonds
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 100ml passata
- Sea salt and black pepper
- to taste
- Small bunch of parsley, chopped
- Small bunch basil, leaves picked, to garnish
- Bag of baby spinach
- leaves, to serve
- Mix all the marinade ingredients together and rub all over the fillet. Leave to marinate for 2-3 hours or overnight.
Preheat the oven to 180C/fan 160C/gas mark 4.
- Slice off the top quarter of the garlic bulb. Put the bulb on a piece of foil, drizzle over a little oil and season. Wrap up in the foil and roast for 40 minutes. Cool slightly then squeeze out the garlic bulb into a food processor.
- For the sauce, heat the oil and sauté the shallot, tomatoes, anchovy fillets with the caster sugar and vinegar. Cook for 5 minutes. Add to the food processor with the remaining sauce ingredients except the herbs and blend to form a thick sauce. Add a little water, if needed, to thin the sauce slightly. Place in a pan and add the parsley.
- Preheat the oven to 200C/fan 180C/gas mark 6.
- Remove the beef from the marinade. Heat the oil in a heavy based frying pan and sear the beef on all sides. Place in an ovenproof roasting tin and roast for 20 minutes until cooked through. Allow to rest for 10 minutes before carving.
- Heat the sauce and spoon over the beef to serve. Accompany with spinach and basil leaves.
Nutrition per serving: 442kcal, fat 31g (of which saturates 6.4g), carbohydrate 9.6g (of which sugars 8.6g), protein 31.3g.