Christmas is a happy time, but some dangers may arise causing potential problems for your pets. Here are some safety tips to ensure you can all enjoy a stress-free (ish) Christmas!
Not a myth, and fortunately much more recognised these days, chocolate contains Theobromine, which at best can make your dog very sick, and at worst can, unfortunately, kill them. The higher the cocoa content or the smaller the dog, the higher the risk, and any dog that eats chocolate MUST be taken to a vet as soon as possible.
Other Toxic Items
Onions, garlic, grapes and raisins (and mistletoe and poinsettias) are all around at Christmas, and are toxic to pets; do not feed them to your pets, even in small quantities, and seek veterinary advice if they get hold of them.
Take care when storing and disposing of turkey carcasses and other bones, as if eaten they can cause severe damage to teeth and gums, or even worse to the internal digestive tract.
Tinsel and other decorations can prove very interesting to inquisitive pets, especially cats and young kittens and puppies, and can cause choking or internal blockages.
Antifreeze tastes sweet and is tempting for cats to drink. It is TOXIC and will KILL a cat that has ingested it. Take care with storage and mop any spillages immediately. Call the vet immediately if you suspect your pet has drunk Antifreeze.
Salt/Grit on Paws
It is a good idea to wash your dogs paws after walks in the winter, as the frozen ground and grit can cause soreness and irritation.
Small toys and batteries are often left lying around and can be very dangerous if chewed or swallowed. They can cause obstructions, or in the case of batteries, chemical burns, so ensure everything is picked up off the floor.
Remember when you are tempted to give your pet their ‘Christmas dinner’ or treats, they are not used to such rich food, so may have some vomiting or diarrhoea as a consequence.
There are many potential causes of stress for your pets at Christmas, such as lack of routine, crowds, and fireworks. They may just want to hide away from it all so make them a den in a safe area where they can escape if need be.
It is a good idea to use lights and reflective wear on you and your pet if out after dark, and there is a wide variety on the market now, great for keeping you all safe in these winter months.
Hopefully, these tips will help towards a happy Christmas for all. Please always call your vet if you are concerned.
For more information about Ryedale Vets, visit our Business Directory.